Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mi Abuelita

Abuelitas are very special. I was the first grandchild. My grandma tells me when I was a baby, she wanted me to grow up, strong and healthy. So once a week she would butcher a chicken from the farm. When she was about to feed me , she would sing me the "chicken song", " que le mate el pollo, que le mate el pollo".

Then my parents moved to the city. Every summer and on school vacation, my grandma would come for my sisters and I and take us to the farm. We never went to summer camp like most Americans kids do, but we had a great time with grandma.

During the hot summer nights, we would sleep outside. She would tell us mexican folktales. She would tell us about "la llorona".

She would make "asaderos", homemade cheese. We would sneak under the table and snatch some, and she would pretend that she did not see us.

One of my grandma's philosophy is "to keep modern". She dyes her hair, untypical of her more conservative lady friends. Once she was "experimenting" with hair color. She walked into the village store and there was havoc as the customers were trying to bargain with the store owner. Everybody was quiet and stared as my grandma entered, "What?" She mentioned nonchalantly, your hair is …..orange! someone exclaimed. " Oh that!!! as my grandmother laughter shattered the silence and bewilderment. "El que no me tenga , que me compre!!!!" My grandma said as she exited the store with a superior air.

Lately, these days, she has a "segunda", second hand store in part of her house. She keeps busy chatting and talking about the latest gossip in the farm.



.......These are memories I have of my grandma.I found this note as I went through my personal things written back in 2001!! and I just had to post it!!

1 comment: